Archives

Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 507 of 9823
< Prev Next >
2018-12-30-002-Switzerland-Ticino-Lugano-Tourism-Architecture-Tower-Stairway-Funicolar-Degli-Angioli.JPG
Switzerland. Canton Ticino. Lugano. Tourists walk up and down the stairs close to "Funicular degli Angioli. The Funicular degli Angioli (Italian: Funicolare degli Angioli) was a funicular railway and inclined lift in the city of Lugano. It linked a lower terminus near the lakeside and the church of Santa Maria degli Angioli with an upper terminus adjacent to the Hotel Bristol. The upper station was on the third floor of a tower, linked with a footbridge to the hotel. The line had a single track and single car, which was balanced by a vertically operating counterweight in the tower. When in operation, the line was 142 metres in length and climbed a vertical distance of 53 metres with a maximum gradient of 44% and an average gradient of 38.7%. The line opened in 1913. In 1973 it was gifted by its owner to the City of Lugano. The Hotel Bristol closed in 1981, and the funicular followed in 1986. The line remains in existence, but in an abandoned state. In 2012 the line was listed as a cultural property of regional significance. It is estimated that restoration  would cost CHF2.6 million. 30.12.2018 © 2018 Didier Ruef